Premarital Counseling: Relationship Insurance
Should I marry this person?
Couples preparing for marriage will benefit from a Gottman Method evaluation of their relationship. Our counseling is based upon the research of John Gottman, PhD, who reports that his data on key indicators of marital satisfaction/dissatisfaction can predict within 91% accuracy whether a marriage will stay together or split!
We can help insure your relationship before your marry
Premarital Counseling can identify key areas that will need to be addressed in order for your relationship to succeed.
Our Premarital Counseling package will provide you with a four-session assessment of the relationship, with a full evaluation prepared especially for you. The four-session assessment includes one session with both members, two individual sessions, and a final session for a review of the assessment.
If you desire, we can work with you after your assessment, engaging in premarital counseling to strengthen the relationship prior to your marriage.
In addition to helping your avoid pitfalls of marital problems, we will provide for you literature and helpful information which will help you transition into married life and parenthood. We will prepare you for marriage success.
Please feel free to follow us on Facebook for thoughts, observations and insight.
How can you predict divorce? What are the reasons for divorce?
Research indicates that divorce reasons include “growing apart”, becoming estranged, or becoming critical of one another. This may result in infidelity, conflict, loss of love, or substance abuse. Often this occurs because the couple has not learned healthy relationship maintenance skills. Practicing these skills begins at the very beginning, even when the couple initially meets! So, what are the keys to maintaining a long lasting satisfactory relationship?
- Develop a positive perspective about your partner. Avoid becoming critical and negative about your partner. Remind yourself and your partner of the things you like about them.
- Maintain your friendship with your mate. Ask them questions about their life. Make sure that you are in touch with what is going on in their world.
- Keep negativity low during conflict. Don’t allow your fighting to escalate. Find ways to de-escalate tense situations. Don’t resort to character attacks.
- Develop confidence in your ability to handle arguments. Instead of becoming defensive, ask questions first, to try to understand your partner’s point of view. If this fails, take a break to calm down.
- Develop good strategies for coping with outside work, parenting and life stress. These stresses will affect your relationship.
Couples who maintain a culture of positivity towards one another stay together!
If you would like to set up free 15 minute phone consultation to discuss our premarital counseling services, we would be happy to discuss them with you. Feel free to phone us at 281-935-0865 or email us at Trahan Counseling.